Hulah WMA covers 16,162 acres of Osage county and is located just north of Pawhuska.
Hulah WMA is a mixture of cross-timbers, tall grass prairie and river bottom habitat. Bottomland habitats occur along the Caney river and Pond Creek drainages. Upland sites are a mixture of tall grass prairie, crop land and post oak-blackjack ridges. The average annual precipitation for the area is about 40 inches.
From Pawhuska: 20 miles north on State Hwy 99.
Game Species of Interest:
- Quail: Present in fair numbers.
- Deer: White-tailed deer present in fair numbers.
- Turkey: Rio Grande turkeys are present in fair numbers.
- Rabbit: Cottontails are found in fair numbers.
- Furbearers: Coyote, bobcat, raccoon, beaver and fox are found in fair numbers.
- Dove: Fair to good dove hunting opportunities in most years.
- Waterfowl: Fair goose hunting opportunities. Good duck hunting available on wetland units and Hulah lake in most years.
- Squirrel: Fair hunting opportunities for both Fox and Gray squirrels.
Nongame Species of Interest:
- Greater Prairie Chicken: Present in low numbers, closed season.
- Bald Eagle: Eagles winter at Hulah lake.
- Shorebirds: Seasonal visitors to the wetland units.
Description of Fish and Wildlife Management Practices:
Approximately 2,200 acres are planted annually to wheat, soybeans, milo, corn, millet and sudan. Water levels are manipulated in two wetland units to provide about 280 acres of moist soil habitat, annually. Controlled cattle grazing and prescribed fire are utilized to manipulate habitat on about 1,300 acres, annually.
Camping and Facilities:
12 designated primitive camp sites are located throughout the area. Fee camping is also available at Wah-Sha-She State Park on Hulah lake.
Fishing opportunities exist at Hulah lake, and numerous small ponds on the WMA.
For additional information and area attractions:
Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department
Post Office Box 52002
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-2002
(800) 652-6552 or (405) 521-2409
Bartlesville Area Convention and Visitors Bureau
201 SW Keeler
PO Box 2366, Bartlesville OK 74005