To give a little background . . . in early 2020, ODWC created a full-time Fishing Coordinator position to enhance the Aquatic Education Program and develop fishing-specific trainings/programs, virtual courses, clinics and literature for anglers of all skill levels and backgrounds. Skylar St.Yves was selected for the position after spending the previous six years producing ODWC’s annual hunting/fishing regulations guidebook, agency signage and a number of other communications projects in ODWC’s Information & Education Division.
St.Yves is a lifelong avid angler. Combined with his fishing acumen, St.Yves’ professional background in program/publication development made for a perfect fit in this new ODWC position.
St.Yves’ first task was to create a Fishing Resources webpage on ODWC’s website wildlifedepartment.com. The webpage started out as a way to keep anglers up-to-date with relevant fishing tips/content, while also providing them with COVID-19 updates pertaining to fishing in Oklahoma. Since then, the webpage has been blossoming into a one-stop shop for Oklahoma anglers. A key feature of the page to be on the lookout for in the spring of 2021 will be a "Build Your Next Fishing Trip" function. It will allow anglers to search for public access points, find bait/tackle shops, locate places to stay, and much more!
In addition to searching through content provided on the Fishing Resources webpage, anglers are encouraged to reach out to St.Yves directly if they have fishing-related questions. His contact information is located at the bottom of the Fishing Resources webpage as well as at the bottom of this article.
The Ask an Angler Virtual Fishing Courses Series is another way anglers can stay in the loop on relevant fishing topics. The courses are held once a month and touch on fishing tips that pertain to that particular time of year. Those who attend the live event can have their questions answered in real time. If you are unable to attend a live event, no worries, all of the courses are made available for public viewing after the live event has concluded.
Click the video below to watch St.Yves' most recent Ask an Angler course.
REGISTER FOR AN UPCOMING ASK AN ANGLER COURSE
- Ask an Angler: Virtual Fishing Course (Crappie Fishing Tips) I February 23, 1-3 p.m. Youtube Live I WATCH HERE
- Ask an Angler: Virtual Fishing Course (Spawning White Bass Fishing Tips) I March 9, 1-3 p.m. Youtube Live I REGISTER HERE
- Ask an Angler: Virtual Fishing Course (Spawning Black Bass Fishing Tips) I April 6, 1-3 p.m. Youtube Live I REGISTER HERE
- Ask an Angler: Virtual Fishing Course (Sunfish Fishing Tips) I May 11, 1-3 p.m. Youtube Live I REGISTER HERE
- Ask an Angler: Virtual Fishing Course (Spawning Catfish Fishing Tips) I June 8, 1-3 p.m. Youtube Live I REGISTER HERE
ODWC FISHING COORDINATOR CONTACT