Stringtown WMA covers 2,260 acres of south-central Atoka County and is located 7 miles east of Stringtown on Greasy Bend road. Terrain within the WMA ranges from steep to moderately steep. Vegetation consists of oak-pine association. The average precipitation of the area is about 52 inches annually.
From Stringtown: At the intersection of U.S. Hwy 69 and State Hwy 43, 0.6 miles east to “Y” in the road, turn right onto Greasy Bend Rd, 7 miles east to WMA sign. Turn right into campgrounds.
Game Species of Interest:
- Quail: Bobwhite quail are present in fair numbers.
- Deer: White-tailed deer are present in good numbers but are highly sought after.
- Turkey: Eastern wild turkey are present in fair numbers but are highly sought after.
- Rabbit: Cottontails are present but not abundant.
- Furbearers: Coyote, bobcat and raccoon are available.
- Dove: Occur in small numbers for short periods during annual migration.
- Waterfowl: A few wood ducks can be found on Potapo Creek.
- Squirrel: Fox and gray squirrels are present in good numbers.
Nongame Species of Interest:
- Bald Eagle: Eagles winter on nearby McGee Creek Lake.
- Owls: Numerous species exist. The Screech owl is the most abundant.
- Nongame Birds: Numerous bird species exist, providing birders with ample watching opportunities.
Description of Fish and Wildlife Management Practices:
Approximately 15 acres of wildlife habitat plots are maintained and planted annually. Habitat manipulations are approached annually by prescribed fire with three year rotational patterns of 750 acres.
Camping and Facilities:
One designated primitive camping area is offered on the area. Additional camping and cabin rental can be obtained through the McGee Creek State Park (580) 889-5822 while both lodging and restaurants are available in Atoka and McAlester. The Atoka City Hall can be reached at (580) 889-3341.
Very limited fishing opportunity exists for bass and sunfish in Patapo Creek. Fugate Lake (approx 10 acres or less) is a remote walk-in only fishing area with fair opportunities for bass, catfish and sunfish.