Skip to main content

Controlling Hogs

Hog trap in field.

State agencies and landowner groups are highly interested in what can be done to control the feral swine problem. Experts have determined that the best methods are trapping ­-- especially whole sounder trapping -- and aerial gunning. Other forms of control are largely ineffective and can actually reduce the effectiveness of trapping.

Landowners who have experienced depredation due to feral swine can contact the state Agriculture Department's Wildlife Services Division at (405) 521-4039.

Jeff Pennington, a biologist with the Oklahoma Wildlife Department, said eradication is not realistic on a landscape level. A realistic landscape goal is to slow the spread and reduce the density of feral hogs by the use of trapping and aerial gunning.

Trapping Information Night Shooting Exemption

People who are having problems with feral swine without a depredation issue are encouraged to use the most effective methods including trapping. A secondary, less effective option is night shooting of feral swine, which the Wildlife Department believes should be a method of last resort because of the issues it creates that affect safety.

In response to Gov. Mary Fallin's executive order in May 2016, the Wildlife Department has instituted a procedure to allow people to obtain exemptions from existing hunting regulations that prohibit night shooting. The new procedure became operational Nov.1, and its goal is to provide landowners relief from feral swine while also protecting wildlife.

Night Shooting Exemptions

Only a deed-holding landowner (or a designee with written landowner permission) can register a property for a night-shooting exemption. The exemption procedure provides immediate approval for a landowner (or a designee with written landowner permission) to shoot feral hogs on the property at night.

A landowner shooting feral swine on his property at night must carry his exemption number. Anyone else shooting feral swine at night is required to carry the property's exemption number and written permission from the landowner or the landowner's single designee. Rules are more stringent during the 16-day deer gun season. During this time, only the landowner or their written designee can night shoot on the property listed on their exemption, and he or she is required to provide some type of advanced notification to the local game warden. The advanced notification can be by text message, voicemail, or email. Family members (parents, children, grandchildren, sons-in-law, and daughters-in-law) can assist an exemption holder. At least one person in the group must have a copy of the exemption while night shooting.

Feral hog night-shooting exemptions are available online.

Obtaining your Exemption

Visit our online licensing system to obtain a hog permit.

You will need to login to your customer account, click purchase licenses, and select "Specialty".

Game Warden Directory for Private Land Night Hunting Exemption

Directing new rules for night shooting of feral swine

For questions or concerns relating to a night hunting exemption contact:

Additional Information

The OK Feral Swine Control Association has information to assist landowners with hog problems.

The Wildlife Department supports the Agriculture Department's creation of a "swine free zone" where feral swine cannot be transported, along with measures to require accountability from anyone who transports feral swine in other parts of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Feral Swine Free Zone Map