Osage WMA - Rock Creek Unit covers 3,722 acres of Osage County in northeast Oklahoma. The Osage WMA also includes the Western Wall Unit (5,950 acres).
Osage WMA is a mixture of cross-timbers, tall grass prairie and river bottom habitats.
Bottom land habitats occur along the Rock Creek, Pond Creek, and Mud Creek drainages. Upland sites are a mixture of tall grass prairie and post oak-blackjack ridges. The average annual precipitation for the area is about 40 inches.
Rock Creek Unit
From Pawhuska: 15 miles north on State Hwy 99, 2 miles south on CR3851.
- Quail: Bobwhite quail are present in fair numbers.
- Deer: White-tailed deer present in fair numbers.
- Turkey: Rio Grande turkeys are present in fair numbers.
- Rabbit: Cottontail are found in fair numbers.
- Furbearers: Coyote, bobcat, raccoon, beaver and fox are found in fair numbers.
- Dove: Limited dove hunting opportunities due to the lack of agricultural fields.
- Waterfowl: Very limited opportunity on small ponds or creeks.
- Squirrel: Fair hunting opportunities for both Fox and Gray squirrels.
- Greater Prairie Chicken: Present in low numbers, closed season.
- Bald Eagle: Eagles are occasionally seen in the winter months.
Approximately 25 acres are planted annually to cool season grasses and legumes. Controlled cattle grazing and prescribed fire are utilized to manipulate habitat on about 9,500 acres and about 50 acres of openings are created and maintained with herbicide, tree shear, or mowing.
One primitive camp ground is located on the Rock Creek unit. Camping is not permitted on the Western Wall unit.
Some fishing opportunities exist in creeks and small ponds.
Same As Statewide Seasons
Closed to all nonhunting activities, except hunter camping, from Oct. 1 - Jan. 31 and during spring turkey season.
Hunter and angler camping is allowed in designated areas.
Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department
Post Office Box 52002
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-2002
(800) 652-6552 or (405) 521-2409
Bartlesville Area Convention and Visitors Bureau
201 SW Keeler
PO Box 2366, Bartlesville OK 74005