Youth turkey hunters have a special opportunity to apply for a turkey hunt that will take place on private lands in either Love or Carter counties. The hunts will be Friday, April 13, 2018, with a mandatory orientation Thursday, April 12.
This year, 15 hunters will be selected to participate in this private lands youth turkey hunt. To be eligible, youths must have completed their hunter education requirements prior to applying and must be 12-17 years old at the time of the scheduled hunt. Food and overnight accommodations will be provided by the Noble Research Institute for selected participants. Co-sponsors of the youth hunt include the Oklahoma Wildlife Management Association and National Wild Turkey Federation.
"This hunt is on private property and should provide young hunters a great opportunity to see and hear turkeys as well as a chance to harvest a tom," said Bill Dinkines, Assistant Chief of Wildlife for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. "The Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission has endorsed the youth hunt program, and we are thankful for the landowners' willingness to allow these kids the opportunity to hunt on their property."
- Hunter’s first and last name.
- Date of birth.
- Mailing address.
- Telephone number.
- Hunter education certification number.
- Lifetime License number, if applicable.
- Accompanying Adult* first and last name.
- Accompanying Adult’s email address.
* Each child participating in this hunt must have one adult (licensed or unlicensed) who is at least 21 years old accompany them on the hunt.
Wild turkeys taken by selected youth hunters will count toward the hunter’s statewide season limit.
Successful applicants will receive a notification letter that includes specific information about their hunt. Youth participants will be required to buy appropriate license(s) prior to the hunt as listed:
- Resident Options (Ages 12-15): Exempt from a hunting license, but must possess a $10 turkey license or proof of exemption.
- Resident Options (Ages 16-17): Must possess a hunting license (Lifetime Hunting OR Lifetime Combination License OR Resident Youth Annual Hunting OR Resident Youth Combination License OR Resident Youth Fiscal Year Hunting OR Resident Youth Fiscal Year Combination License) and a $10 turkey license or proof of exemption.
- Nonresident Options (Ages 12-13): Exempt from a hunting license, but must possess a $10 turkey license unless otherwise exempt.
- Nonresident Options (Ages 14-17): Must possess a $142 nonresident annual hunting license and a $10 turkey license unless otherwise exempt.
For more information, call Kyle Johnson at (405) 590-2584.