Game Wardens in several north-central and northwestern counties will conduct free shotgun tune-up sessions, similar to the one depicted here, for youths in advance of dove hunting season. Class sizes are limited, and RSVPs are required. (OK Game Wardens/Facebook)
* * *
Game Wardens Up North Set Free Shotgun Tune-Ups for Youths
Game wardens in north-central and northwestern Oklahoma are looking for some young hunters to join them on select Tuesdays and Thursdays in August to bust some clay pigeons in preparation for the Sept. 1 dove season opener.
Game Wardens in the Wildlife Department's Law Enforcement District 8 will conduct Shotgun Training Education Program (STEP) sessions to help young hunters practice two common dove shots: the incoming shot and the crossing shot.
All classes are free and are open to youths ages 10-16, as long as they are at least 52 inches tall. The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation will provide 20-gauge and 12-gauge shotguns, or youths may bring the 20- or 12-gauge shotgun that they take hunting. Other gauges are not permitted. All firearms must be unloaded and cased.
Ammunition will be provided free. For liability reasons, youths are required to shoot Department-provided ammo.
Classes are limited to 25 students each. Youths wanting to attend a session must call the Game Warden conducting the session to RSVP. All classes will start at 5:30 p.m. and run until dusk.
Here is the schedule:
- Grant County, Tuesday, Aug. 14: Medford Police Department Range, 96482 Haskell Road, Medford. Contact Game Warden Marshall Reigh, (580) 541-0930, to RSVP.
- Texas County, Tuesday, Aug. 14: Hooker Trap Range, 3 miles southwest of Hooker on U.S. 54, then a half-mile north. Contact Game Warden Max Crocker, (580) 651-9134, to RSVP.
- Noble County, Thursday, Aug. 16: Brorsen’s Bluestem Hunting Reserve, 11100 Lariat, Perry. Contact Game Warden Lt. Doug Gottschalk, (580) 370-0700, to RSVP.
- Garfield County, Tuesday, Aug. 21: Grand National Gun Club. 7.5 miles north of Enid on U.S. 81. Contact Game Warden Blake Cottrill, (580) 541-0819, to RSVP.
- Kay County, Thursday, Aug. 23: CLASS IS FULL
- Woodward County, Tuesday, Aug. 28: Mooreland Gun Range, 1 mile east of Mooreland on U.S. 412 then 1 mile south on Gun Range Road. Contact Lt. Game Warden Mark Reichenberger, (580) 334-0353, to RSVP.
# # #