Residents in north-central and northwestern Oklahoma who are not acquainted with their local game wardens will have a chance to change that in the coming days.
Game wardens will host informal gatherings in six counties where area residents can visit with the officers and each other over a cup of coffee.
"It's an opportunity to get to know your local game warden and discuss issues important to you," said Capt. Tracy Daniel, District 8 law enforcement chief with the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation.
"There is no agenda or forum. It's just a time for folks to come out and visit about any subject on their mind," he said. "At the same time, it will be a great tool for us to gain valuable insight from the public."
Times, locations and game wardens on the schedule are:
- Perry: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Oct. 29, Wal-Mart, Lt. Doug Gottschalk based in Noble County.
- Fairview: 3 to 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 3, Sooner Convenience Store, game warden Phillip Cottrill based in Major County.
- Waynoka: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Nov. 5, Gloss Mountain Guns, District 8 Capt. Tracy Daniel and game warden Terry Swallow based in Woods County.
- Woodward: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Nov. 5, Butch's Guns, Lt. Mark Reichenberger based in Woodward County.
- Beaver: 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Nov. 5, Beaver County Fairgrounds, game warden Mike Baker based in Beaver County.
- Ponca City: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5, Atwood's, game wardens Spencer Grace based in Kay County and Marshall Reigh, based in Grant County.
- Guymon: 11 a.m. to noon Saturday, Nov. 5, Hinchey Ford, game warden Max Crocker based in Texas County.
Game wardens are among the most recognized members of the wildlife conservation team in Oklahoma. The fish and wildlife laws they enforce ensure the continued opportunity for all sportsmen to experience hunting and fishing for years to come.
Game wardens are public servants sworn to protect wildlife and the public's interests in the outdoors. These certified peace officers have statewide jurisdiction to act on any law violation.
# # #