The Lake of the Arbuckles is a 2,350-acre reservoir formed by the impoundment of Guy Sandy, Buckhorn, and Rock Creeks, approximately 8 miles southwest of Sulphur in Murray County, Oklahoma. It was constructed by the Bureau of Reclamation in 1967 and has a watershed of 126 square miles in south-central Oklahoma. Arbuckle Dam and water levels are managed by the Bureau of Reclamation. Recreational access, patrols, and lakeside facilities are managed by the National Park Service.
Lake of the Arbuckles (Google Map) is located 6 miles southwest of Sulphur in between SH 7 and US 177 within the Chickasaw National Recreation Area.
The National Park Service manages campgrounds with full RV hookups, boat ramps, covered fishing piers and designated swimming areas.
- Arbuckle Bait Box(1719 Cedar Blue Rd, Sulphur, OK 73086)- (580) 622-5359
- Buckhorn Bait(199 Buckhorn Rd, Sulphur, OK 73086)- (405) 487-8180
- Point Bait Shop(774 Cooper Memorial Rd, Sulphur, OK 73086)- (580) 622-6338
- Walmart Supercenter (Sulphur)(2705 W Broadway Ave, Sulphur, OK 73086)- (580) 622-6146
- Walmart Supercenter (Ardmore)(1715 N Commerce St, Ardmore, OK 73401)- (580) 226-1257
- Academy (Ardmore)(1605 12th Ave NW, Ardmore, OK 73401)- (580) 768-6429
- Dickey's Tackle Box(270 S Washington St, Ardmore, OK 73401)
- Jones Wholesale Bait Inc(5799 E Prairie Valley Rd, Ardmore, OK 73401)- (580) 224-9944
- Lake Country Store(18550 Scenic, State Hwy 77, Ardmore, OK 73401)- (580) 226-0030
- Scotty's Blue River One Stop(4501 S Bullard Chapel Rd, Tishomingo, OK 73460)- (580) 371-9288
Florida strain largemouth bass are stocked annually.
Contact the Bureau of Reclamation for ADA information at (580) 622-7234 or the Chickasaw National Recreation Area.
Crappie: 15 combined per day, must be 10 inches or longer.
Mar 28. Elevation is Normal (stable), water temperature 53°F and stained. (USACE Lake Level)
Bass, Largemouth, Bass, Smallmouth Good on Alabama rig, bill baits, plastic baits around brush structure, channels, points.
Catfish, Blue, Catfish, Channel, Catfish, Flathead Fair on cut bait, live shad, stinkbait around channels, flats.
Crappie, Black, Crappie, White Fair on hair jigs, jigs, minnows, tube jigs around channels, creek channels.
Report submitted by casey young (Game Warden Murray County)
Fish Species of Interest
List of Threatened and Endangered Species Scheduled for Updates in 2023
We discuss scheduled federal listings of threatened and endangered species with the Wildlife Department’s endangered species biologist.
Mar 23, 2023
Controlling Chinese Privet
We address the plant, the problem, and the solution for controlling Chinese privet.
Mar 16, 2023