Fort Gibson WMA covers 21,798 acres in Wagoner and Cherokee Counties. Located north and east of Wagoner, Oklahoma.
Fort Gibson WMA is a mixture of upland and bottomland habitats. Upland areas consist of tall grass prairie mixed with farm fields and brushy thickets. Bottomland areas consist of Crosstimbers oak forest with cottonwood and sycamores in and around Fort Gibson lake.
North Portion – From Wagoner: 2 miles north on U.S. Hwy 69.
South Portion (WRP) – From Wagoner: 2 miles south on State Hwy 16, 1½ miles east on E0760 (Wagoner Jack Rd).
Game Species of Interest:
- Deer: White-tailed deer are present in fair numbers.
- Quail: Bobwhite are present in fair numbers.
- Rabbit: Cottontail are present in fair to good numbers.
- Furbearers: Coyote, bobcat and raccoon are present.
- Dove: The area has small grain agricultural fields that provide fair to good dove hunting.
- Squirrel: Fox squirrels are present in fair numbers.
- Waterfowl: There are usually good duck and goose hunting opportunities on and around Fort Gibson lake.
Nongame Species of Interest:
- Bald Eagle: Eagles winter on Fort Gibson lake.
Description of Fish and Wildlife Management Practices:
Approximately 2,700 acres are planted to row crops, annually. Controlled burns are utilized to manage upland habitats. A 3,500 acre waterfowl refuge, in the Jackson Bay area, is managed for waterfowl with 9 wetland units and numerous fields planted to wheat, sunflower, milo and millet.
Camping and Facilities:
No camping is allowed on the area. However, numerous US Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds are available around the lake.
A rifle range can be found on the south side of Toppers road east of Wagoner. The range offers two shooting benches and a 100 yard range.
Fishing opportunities exist in numerous ponds on the area. Fort Gibson lake offers good fishing for white bass, catfish, crappie and black bass.
For additional information and area attractions:
Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department
Post Office Box 52002
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-2002
(800) 652-6552 or (405) 521-2409
Upper McClellan-Kerr Waterway Association
PO Box 2361
Muskogee, OK 74402
Muskogee Convention and Tourism
412 Boston, Muskogee OK 74402
Stilwell Area Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 845
Stilwell OK 74960
Tulsa Convention and Visitors Bureau
Williams Center Tower II
Two West Second Street, Tulsa OK 74103
Greater Tenkiller Area Association
PO Box Ten-K
Cookson OK 74427